Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Fire Island lighthouse

We had a fabulous afternoon on Fire Island. When we arrived, a helicopter was flying over quite a few times. I liked to make up the story that it was guarding someone famous ... maybe the president was visiting or a handsome actor. But then I realized it's probably just the coast guard station down the island. Nuts. No drama. We walked down the dune walk to the lighthouse.


It sure is big! There was a loud school group in it so we didn't travel to the top (ok... and because it cost $6 and I'd have to carry a 3 yr old). We had a picnic on the outskirts and played a few fun games made up by Alex and Liv. There was a little gift shop on the main level that we did find some fun things in ... a little jar of colored shells, a tiny pirate map, a pink money holder, a tattoo, and a Christmas ornament! Can you guess who each item was for?!





After the lighthouse, Skyler had a little nap in her stroller while the older kids did a quick Spiderman-change in the van into swimsuits. I wish I was able to contain their giggles and squeals when the ocean water came to their toes. They loved it!







Clara ran and ran and ran and ran back and forth ... then tripped.


They sure missed their daddy to play in the water with them. I make a better lifeguard than an actual water playmate. We did think of daddy when a few planes flew overhead. Maybe it'll be us someday!

1 comment: